Today was the Whipper Snapper One Lapper Youth Triathlon at the pool. It was a great turn-out, the weather was perfect, and everyone had a great time.
I was awestruck by one young lady. I saw her among the crowd, but didn't know she was a competitor. I wasn't there when she checked in, so I assumed she was there cheering on a sibling. I didn't notice her transition from bike to run, not sure why, but probably because I was getting ready to record the times at the finish line.
As I waited for last girl to come and cross the finish line, I had no idea what was in store.
There she was, moving as fast as she could on legs that weren't straight, weren't balanced. But she was moving. She was going as fast as those legs would take her. The whole crowd rallied around her as little G crossed the finish line, and her parents scooped her up into their arms. The look of joy on her face, the look of determination in those little eyes was humbling and humiliating at the same time.
I felt ashamed for all the excuses I've made. I felt humbled by her grace, her poise. She wasn't going to let anyone tell her she couldn't do it. She wouldn't let anyone else tell her, and she wasn't about to tell that to herself either. Her spirit was stronger than her body. She was like a little angel crossing that finish line, with her shoulders back and her head held high, and I couldn't help but get choked up.
I'm fat. That's my fault. I've been lazy. That's my fault too. But this beautiful little angel had real problems handed to her, under no fault of her own, and she triumphed. She glowed. She succeeded. She showed strength that most adults could only dream of.
No more excuses.
Saturday, April 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
What a great story...thanks for posting this. :)
Post a Comment